Oct 16, 2010

Saying Good-bye

My cat, Mittens, passed away today at the age of 20 years old. She had several medical problems and we decided that it would be best to put her to sleep than to allow her to suffer any longer. That had to be the hardest phone call I have ever had to make in my entire life. The Veterinarian Hospital where I used to take her was extremely empathic and listened patiently as I was sobbing over the phone to them. I am truly grateful for all they have done for her.

Thankfully, Campbell had a football game this morning, so we were not here when Brent took Mittens to the Vet. After the game, we all ate lunch (including the grandparents) at McDonald's before heading home to break the news to the kids. The kids took it very well. We have been preparing them all week by letting them know that she wasn't feeling well and was very sick. Campbell even made the comment earlier today that she thought Mittens was dying. I agreed and told her that Daddy was taking her to the Vet to see what they could do for her. Then she asked me if they couldn't do anything for her would she die? I struggled to get the word "yes" out, but I was relieved at the same time that she understood and had already accepted it.

After we explained to the kids about Mittens death, we had a sweet Memoral Service for her to provide closer and have the chance for all of us to say good-bye one last time.

We will miss you Mittens!

4 comments:

Rosamond said...

I remember Mittens, I am so sorry Kristie!

Meghan said...

I am so sorry to hear about this Kristie..losing a pet is so hard, especially one who has been a member of your family for so long!

Rebecca Johnson said...

Sorry for your loss! Will you do a little family memorial for Mittens? Share favorite stories?

Kristie said...

Rebecca, I am keeping track of all the sweet cards and donations made in her honor and putting them in my scrapbook. I think a memorial is a good idea, but I haven't looked into it yet.