Feb 13, 2008

Words and Feelings

I always carry snacks with me when I run errands with the girls. Yesterday we did some grocery shopping. It was getting close to Riley's nap time, so I pulled out the snacks to keep her content as possible. I gave her some dried fruit and she immediately gave it back to me without hestitation. This went on for a couple more times until she looked me square in the eyes and said "NO"! Actually, her "no" sounds more like "na".

Apparently, I didn't get it the first time.

Campbell and I just had to laugh at her because it was so darn cute!


Later that day, Campbell got up a couple of times during nap time (Quiet Time) after I told her to stay in her room. The last time this happended, I was on the phone with a friend. I gave her an evil eye and pointed to her room so I wouldn't interrupt my phone conversation. She immediately started crying and went straight to her room.

After her Quiet Time had ended, she looked at me with such a sincere face and told me that I hurt her feelings. This is how the conversation went:

Campbell: Mommy, you hurt my feelings when you told me to go to my room and it made me cry.

Mommy: I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. However, it makes me very happy when you obey and cooperate without being told to do something over and over again. When it is quiet time, it's very important to stay in your room because you need your rest.

Campbell: I would have gone to my room if you would have said please and asked nicely.

Mommy: You are right. I should have taken the time to ask you nicely. I will work on that. Please forgive me for not speaking nicely to you.

Campbell: I forgive you, Mommy.

Yes, these were her exact words. Campbell has such a sweet spirit about her. She reminded me that it is so important to speak nicely to the people that you love. It does make a lasting impression on them.

No comments: